PC Charge has now been unsupported for over 2 years, and yet certain companies have still been using PC Charge to process cards through their accounting software. On April 6th, 2015, Verifone announced they will no longer support their credit card application PC Charge. Many companies have continued to use this software, since they have heavily customized their ERP system. Newer versions of ERPs and payment integrations have better security features and protocols (Hint: APS!) that are PCI Compliant.
PC Charge, a server-based credit card processing middleware, is installed on a business’ local server to process credit card and store information on-site. Even though PC Charge has stopped working for most merchants, several companies have found a way to piece their systems together to keep it running. This, however, will likely come to an end in 2018. PCI
Compliance regulations are forcing all transactions to be updated to TLS 1.2, which means many older processing systems (like PC Charge) will have a hard time accommodating the requirements for TLS 1.2.
Even if you do find a way to piecemeal PC Charge to work on TLS 1.2, you are still leaving your company and clients at a huge risk of being hacked. PC Charge stores full credit card information on your local server, which can be compromised very quickly. Since your company is hosting this server, you can be held liable for any losses caused by use of those credit card numbers.
If you are a PC Charge user, I would highly recommend starting the process of looking at solutions that are based on tokenization, and securely store any sensitive information off-site, and are TLS 1.2 ready. American Payment Solutions provides PCI-Compliant integrations into several products that PC Charge integrated with, including Sage 100 (MAS90/MAS 200), QuickBooks, Sage 300, and many others.
American Payment Solutions enables you to cut costs and offers the following streamlined credit card processing features:
- Convenient 24 hour access to payment processing and reporting
- Automated recurring billing
- Improved cash flow
- Fraud detection and prevention (volume thresholds, risk parameters)
- Reduce invoicing costs
- No additional licensing fees
- Virtual Terminals (no integration needed, no software to install, simply use your web browser to securely log in to process transactions)
- Credit card tokenization for secure access to future customer transactions
- Real-time Payment Gateway
- Level 3 supported gateway for US accounts, (significant savings for business to government or business to business transactions)
- Batch processing when real time approvals are not required
- 100% PCI-DSS compliant at no additional cost
- Some of the lowest American Express fees in the entire industry!
- Next Day Funding including American Express making reconciliation process easier